Wednesday 8 May 2013

Best R&B artist! Who is it?


Hey guys, its Elizabeth back again talking about R&B and Hip Hop. Unlike my other posts, today’s blog post will not be about a new upcoming artist. Todays post will be about the most amazingly talented singer that I have grown up listening to.  She is the known as the Queen of R&B, yes ladies and gentlemen its MARIAH CAREY.


Now Mariah Carey has said her influences have come from singers such as Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughan and influenced hip-hop and r&b singers such as Beyoncé, Rihanna and Mary J Blige. For anyone that grew up in the 80’s or 90’s I assure you one or more of Carey’s songs has had an impact on your life and reminds you of a stage in your life, whether good or bad. 

Born in 1970 Mariah is still one of my favourite singers of all time. Although some of her new music has moved to more pop music I still love her old meaningful music that forever changed my view on life and music. She is an ageless superstar who’s song such as One Sweet Day, Emotions and Always Be My Baby I believe has set the standard and shown what real music and singing is meant to be. The countless number ones have shown the real talent she has. There are so many number ones that she has created a whole album of them. Here are the number one songs by Mariah Carey!

  • 1990 - "Vision Of Love"
  • 1990 - "Love Takes Time"
  • 1991 - "Someday"
  • 1991 - "I Don't Wanna Cry"
  • 1991 - "Emotions"
  • 1992 - "I'll Be There"
  • 1993 - "Hero"
  • 1993 - "Dream Lover"
  • 1995 - "Fantasy"
  • 1995 - "One Sweet Day" (w/ Boyz II Men)
  • 1996 - "Always Be My Baby"
  • 1997 - "Honey"
  • 1998 - "My All"
  • 1999 - "Heartbreaker"
  • 1999 - "Thank God I Found You"
  • 2005 - "We Belong Together"

Last Year i had the privilege of going to Mariah's Carey concert in Sydney. To be honest i didn't think Mariah would be as good as she sounded in her songs, for the reason that these songs were made almost 20 years ago. To my amazement Mariah hit every note perfectly and sounded even better live. To me this shows that she has true talent, some concerts people go to the singers dont sound anything like they are on the radio and sound really awful. This was not the case for Mariah even in the song Emotions which shows amazing vocal range that i didn't think anyone could hit. If you havent heard it, here it is!



I have to say that my favourite song by her is definitely One Sweet day, it spent 16 weeks atop Billboard top 100 making the longest running number one song in US chart History.  This song came out the year I was born but I will forever remember it. The song reminds anyone who have had struggles, deaths and sadness in their lives that ‘One Sweet Day’ it will all be better and it gives hope for happiness. It is a song containing both powerful meaning and powerful vocals, which really brings the point out.

For anyone who remembers this song I want you to really listen to this song and let it bring the memories back. For anyone who hasn’t listened to this, what hole have you been hiding in? Just Kidding, Just listen to this wonderful song and you’ll see why it is loved so much.



By Elizabeth




No comments:

Post a Comment